Barry's Genealogy Diary

This online genealogical diary is hosted by Barry T. Self. It is primarily for information pertaining to the SELF surname, more particularly for descendants of John J. and Lydia Avaline Waters Self, who were married in Union County, GA in 1851. Barry Self is the SELF proclaimed family genealogist and historian, having spent over 20 years researching this Self line. This diary is dedicated to preserving and sharing the findings of his research.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madisonville, Tennessee, United States

I am married to a wonderful and sweet wife, Svitlana, who is from Ukraine and we have a beautiful daughter, Lydia Elizabeth. I have worked in the funeral business since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy researching my family roots.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

ANNUAL SELF REUNION WET... BUT WONDERFUL

The annual Self Reunion was held Saturday, September 23 at Camp Tipton Park in Maryville, Tennessee. According to my wife, it was a very nice gathering in spite of the heavy rain that fell a couple of times. Thank goodness the pavilion protected everyone from getting soaked. I was not able to attend due to my work schedule. I really missed being there. There were approximately 60 to 70 in attendance this year. The reunion has been an annual event fo over twenty years. No one is quite sure when the first reunion was held at Camp Tipton by the Self Family. It was held one year at another location in Maryville, but except for that one reunion all the others have been at this same location. Ruth Self Bryant, who hosts the reunion, isn't even sure when the first reunion was orgainzed. I have personally been attending it on and off for at least twenty to twenty-two years, so I know it has been held at least that long. Hopefully I will be able to attend next year.