Barry's Genealogy Diary

This online genealogical diary is hosted by Barry T. Self. It is primarily for information pertaining to the SELF surname, more particularly for descendants of John J. and Lydia Avaline Waters Self, who were married in Union County, GA in 1851. Barry Self is the SELF proclaimed family genealogist and historian, having spent over 20 years researching this Self line. This diary is dedicated to preserving and sharing the findings of his research.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madisonville, Tennessee, United States

I am married to a wonderful and sweet wife, Svitlana, who is from Ukraine and we have a beautiful daughter, Lydia Elizabeth. I have worked in the funeral business since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy researching my family roots.

Friday, April 02, 2010

FUND RAISER FOR THE CEMETERIES AT RAFTER, TENNESSEE

Miss Mary Shaw, of Rafter, contacted me this week about a fund raiser that will be held Saturday, April 10, 2010 at the Rafter Fire Hall for the purpose of raising money for the upkeep (mowing, etc.) of the four cemeteries at Rafter. There will be a potluck meal served from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cost will be $7.00 for adults and $3.00 for children. The cemeteries at Rafter are the Giles-Roberts Cemetery, where our ancestor John J. Self is buried, among many other Self relatives, the Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery, the Epworth Cemetery and the Rafter Friends Church Cemetery. It takes a lot of money to keep up these grounds. I told her I would mail a check even if I could not attend the "feeding". If anyone else would like to help, please send your donation to: Mary Shaw, 256 Shaw Mountain Road, Tellico Plains, TN 37385. They will surely appreciate it. My check is in the mail Mary.