Barry's Genealogy Diary

This online genealogical diary is hosted by Barry T. Self. It is primarily for information pertaining to the SELF surname, more particularly for descendants of John J. and Lydia Avaline Waters Self, who were married in Union County, GA in 1851. Barry Self is the SELF proclaimed family genealogist and historian, having spent over 20 years researching this Self line. This diary is dedicated to preserving and sharing the findings of his research.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madisonville, Tennessee, United States

I am married to a wonderful and sweet wife, Svitlana, who is from Ukraine and we have a beautiful daughter, Lydia Elizabeth. I have worked in the funeral business since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy researching my family roots.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

VETERANS DAY, THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 11

In honor of Veterans Day, I want to post a poem that someone gave me a few months ago. It was written by a Self cousin to his mother while he was serving in Viet Nam. I received it from a lady who's brother was a friend of this Self cousin and who served alongside him in Viet Nam. I will not disclose who wrote the poem, because I was not able to reach him to ask for his permission to publish the poem and reveal his name.

Thank you veterans for serving our country. Let's not forget those who gave their lives in defense of our freedom.


Mom, Don’t Be Blue

Mom, why are you so blue?
I’m here fighting for you,
I’ll return home someday soon
I hope and I pray.

I hope you’re proud of me.
I’ll make you, wait and see!
So dry your eyes and smile,
It’s only for a little while.

Should I never return,
please don’t be too concerned.
I’ll be waiting for you up there.
For you, mom, with a prayer.

Your loved one