Barry's Genealogy Diary

This online genealogical diary is hosted by Barry T. Self. It is primarily for information pertaining to the SELF surname, more particularly for descendants of John J. and Lydia Avaline Waters Self, who were married in Union County, GA in 1851. Barry Self is the SELF proclaimed family genealogist and historian, having spent over 20 years researching this Self line. This diary is dedicated to preserving and sharing the findings of his research.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madisonville, Tennessee, United States

I am married to a wonderful and sweet wife, Svitlana, who is from Ukraine and we have a beautiful daughter, Lydia Elizabeth. I have worked in the funeral business since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy researching my family roots.

Friday, April 29, 2011

WORTH MENTIONING...


We celebrated my dad's 63rd birthday this past Saturday, April 23 with a party/ Easter get-together at his house with my brother and his family, me and my family and momma. It was a great afternoon and evening. The children hunted Easter eggs and we just laid back and rubbed our bellies after a delicious meal my little momma had prepared. (The daughters-in-law offered to help cook, but momma would not hear of it. They did bring a dish or two anyway I think.) Our friend, Michael Lemons, was also there. He just happened to luck up and come at the right time to drop off a load of barnyard fertilizer for daddy's garden. Michael was driving a 1948 Ford, one and a half-ton truck, with a dump bed on it, which is good for hauling barnyard fertilizer. That way, you do not have to shovel it. We got to talking and my daddy told me that truck had a special significance to it. He said that my granddaddy, Lawson Self, used to drive that 48 Ford truck to deliver flour for the Trigonia Mill, which was located south of Greenback, TN. Back then, it was a box truck, instead of a dump bed. Well, when I heard this, I just had to have a picture of the truck. Daddy and Michael said the truck was originally green. One of the Hammontree boys owned it later. I guess they bought it from whoever ran the mill. Later, Michael and his daddy, Gene Lemons, traded for it. I joked that both the truck and daddy are 1948 models and the truck has antique tags, so daddy must also be an antique. I thought this was worth mentioning.