Barry's Genealogy Diary

This online genealogical diary is hosted by Barry T. Self. It is primarily for information pertaining to the SELF surname, more particularly for descendants of John J. and Lydia Avaline Waters Self, who were married in Union County, GA in 1851. Barry Self is the SELF proclaimed family genealogist and historian, having spent over 20 years researching this Self line. This diary is dedicated to preserving and sharing the findings of his research.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madisonville, Tennessee, United States

I am married to a wonderful and sweet wife, Svitlana, who is from Ukraine and we have a beautiful daughter, Lydia Elizabeth. I have worked in the funeral business since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy researching my family roots.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

OLD PHOTO TO SHARE


The photo above was taken on "Decoration Day" at Citico Baptist Church Cemetery in Monroe County, Tennessee. It was likely taken around 1940 or 1941. From left to right is Howard Hill holding, who I think is Lola Self, and then Luther Self, Mary Self Smith and Gillis Self. Howard Hill was the husband of Lucy Self Hill. Lola Self was the daughter of Luther Self. Luther Self and Mary Self Smith were brother and sister. Gillis Self was the son of Luther Self. I believe they may be standing at the grave of Mr. or Mrs. C.C. Self, who were Luther and Mary's mother and father. Everyone in this pisture is now deceased. Since it is the season for "decorations" at the local cemeteries, I thought everyone might enjoy seeing this old photograph. The late John Heneger shared this one with me.