Barry's Genealogy Diary

This online genealogical diary is hosted by Barry T. Self. It is primarily for information pertaining to the SELF surname, more particularly for descendants of John J. and Lydia Avaline Waters Self, who were married in Union County, GA in 1851. Barry Self is the SELF proclaimed family genealogist and historian, having spent over 20 years researching this Self line. This diary is dedicated to preserving and sharing the findings of his research.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madisonville, Tennessee, United States

I am married to a wonderful and sweet wife, Svitlana, who is from Ukraine and we have a beautiful daughter, Lydia Elizabeth. I have worked in the funeral business since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy researching my family roots.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

INFORMATION SOUGHT FOR YEARS IS DISCOVERED...JUST DOWN THE ROAD




I have been researching the Self family tree for over twenty years. More than once I have run into the proverbial brick wall or dead end concerning certain branches of the family tree. This can happen for various reasons. A lot of times, a genealogist reaches this frustrating point simply because everyone who would have known something about the particular line has died or the so-called paper trial ends. There can also be other reasons. Sometimes it is due to the fact that the obvious is overlooked and when this happens, one can miss a great deal of information. If you have ever researched a family tree and reached a point where you cannot go any further, you know how frustrating it can be. It can also be challenging.

On July 29, 2008, I met Bobbie Davis through my work. Bobbie is a nurse and I met her in Vonore at… well, let’s just say it was on a professional level. She found out I am a Self and she told me she was also a Self before she married. We got to talking and I learned that she was s sister to David Self from Etowah, TN. I told her I knew David from my high school days when I worked at Hardee’s Restaurant. David is a district manager for Franco, Inc., which owns a chain of Hardee’s Restaurants. I told Bobbie that David and I had never been able to determine if we were related. She started naming some of her relatives and I quickly realized she descends from a Self line I reached a dead end on several years ago. I got really excited when Bobbie told me her 80+ year old mother was still living in Etowah. It took several months, but I was finally able to visit with Bobbie and her mother on February 5, 2009 and I learned a great deal about this particular Self family.

Bobbie’s mother is Louise Bain Self, age 82, widow of Glenn Wilburn Self. Glenn was a son to Floyd Self and Zela Mabel Bryson Self. Come to find out, I had her name as Celia Bryson by mistake. Floyd Self was a son to Samuel Lamarcus Ishma Self. He was called Mark Self. Mark Self was the ninth child of John Jones Self and Lydia Avaline Waters Self. This makes Floyd Self and I 1st cousins 3 times removed. I could not believe that it took me twenty plus years to learn about this branch of the Self family and the answers were right under my nose…only about 8 miles down the road in Etowah, Tennessee.

Miss Louise and Bobbie were very helpful to me. Louise told me lots of information about Glenn’s family. I was able to fill in a lot of blanks on the family tree and get some great leads on where to find even more information. Glenn Self passed away in 1985. His parents had five other children. Louise is not for certain, but one of those children may still be living in Texas. She is Ruby Self Hassertt.

The pictures above are one of Louise Self and her daughter, Bobbie Davis and one of Louise Self and her husband, the late Glenn Self.