Barry's Genealogy Diary

This online genealogical diary is hosted by Barry T. Self. It is primarily for information pertaining to the SELF surname, more particularly for descendants of John J. and Lydia Avaline Waters Self, who were married in Union County, GA in 1851. Barry Self is the SELF proclaimed family genealogist and historian, having spent over 20 years researching this Self line. This diary is dedicated to preserving and sharing the findings of his research.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madisonville, Tennessee, United States

I am married to a wonderful and sweet wife, Svitlana, who is from Ukraine and we have a beautiful daughter, Lydia Elizabeth. I have worked in the funeral business since 1988 and thoroughly enjoy researching my family roots.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

HOME

I attended the graveside service this afternoon for Dixie Light Self. Her family gave me a copy of a poem she had written many years ago. Dixie wrote the poem, framed it and gave it to a friend of hers. The friend brought the poem to the hospital just before Dixie passed away and gave it to her sons. I wanted to share this with everyone. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

HOME

Home was a little house on top of a hill
With a Mama and Daddy who worked in the mill.
They had seven children, two of whom died.
It was a struggle to raise us but oh! How they tried!
They wanted to give us all the things they had not.
They surely succeeded by the things that we got.
My treasures will not buy many things you can see
But truly they’re worth more than the whole world to me.
My first treasure is faith, the second is love,
The third is forgiveness, which comes from above.
In my thoughts I go back to that home on the hill-
To my Mama and Daddy who worked in the mill;
For in so doing I find treasures anew
In the things they would say and the things they would do.
Dear God, we do thank you for the things that we had:
For our wonderful Mama and our wonderful Dad.

Cleo Light